There are extra alternatives than you assume!
Truly, as an NYC native, I’m typically requested questions like, “How do you stay linked to nature if you happen to stay in New York Metropolis?”
Whereas I’ll admit town is especially a concrete jungle, there are additionally many inexperienced house choices.
In truth, here’s a little bit of trivia for you:
New York Metropolis has over 1,700 parks, many with woodland trails and scenic paths excellent for exploring.
That can assist you plan for a day exploring nature by way of mountain climbing round NYC, I’m going to share a few of my favourite trails as an area and a licensed tour information.
Particularly, I’m going to element 5 of the greatest locations to go mountain climbing in Manhattan. I wager there are at the least just a few trails you haven’t heard of, too!
Word: This put up sharing the perfect hikes in NYC comprises affiliate hyperlinks to trusted companions I believe you’ll love!
Click on right here to seize the free NYC journey information!
Desk of Contents
- Native NYC Information (Freebie!)
- 1) Central Park Climbing In The Ravine
- 2) Climbing In Manhattan On Randall’s Island
- 3) NYC Adventures In Inwood Hill Park
- 4) Climbing The Governors Island Loop
- 5) Climbing In Manhattan’s Fort Tryon Park
- The place To See Nature In NYC (Further Alternatives)
- Resorts In New York Metropolis
Native NYC Information (Freebie!)
However earlier than we dive into the Manhattan mountain climbing trails, I wish to invite you to seize my free NYC native information sharing distinctive issues to do in New York Metropolis.
This printable PDF will assist you to discover #BeyondTheGuidebook to expertise town past the standard vacationer websites for a extra memorable journey. Uncover lesser-known eateries, quirky points of interest, off-the-beaten-path experiences, and neighborhoods past Midtown.
Seize it right here, then let’s dive into the perfect mountain climbing trails round NYC, particularly Manhattan.
Simply keep in mind that as a result of it’s Manhattan you gained’t be climbing up mountains. That being mentioned, #3 would be the most suitable choice if you happen to’re on the lookout for a extra rugged NYC journey.
Lastly, all of those NYC mountain climbing day journeys are accessible by subway and are nice whether or not you’re mountain climbing by your self or in a bunch.
1) Central Park Climbing In The Ravine
Visiting Central Park, dwelling to 843-acres of magnificence, is a particular and uniquely New York expertise. This attraction is among the many the reason why New York is so well-known.
And whereas many guests to NYC flock to the Nice Garden and Bethesda Fountain, what can be value exploring is the 58 miles of mountain climbing trails.
There are three principal woodlands in Central Park:
- The Ramble
- The Hallett
- The North Woods — the biggest of the three woodlands at 40 acres in addition to the place the Ravine is situated
These lush woodlands had been impressed by rustic New York locations, giving New Yorkers a style of locations just like the Catskills and the Adirondacks with out them needing to go away town.
So what’s so particular about mountain climbing in Central Park within the Ravine?
Properly, for one, it’s Central Park’s solely stream valley and is dwelling to Manhattan waterfalls!
That is along with beautiful points of interest like arches, swimming pools and streams, and quiet little paths that jut off the principle one. You’ll additionally discover the Blockhouse, a fortification from the Warfare of 1812 that’s the oldest constructing in Central Park.
Map of the Ravine trailhead:
The Ravine trailhead (map)
Path map: Click on right here.
Hike type: The Ravine is a straightforward hike. You are able to do it in lower than an hour, although I like to recommend taking your time to discover the bigger North Woods and the remainder of Central Park.
Getting there: You possibly can enter at 103rd St. — it’s just a little nearer to the east facet of Central Park than the west facet, although both is okay — and enter “the Ravine” into Google Maps to seek out it.
Google Maps will take you nearly on to a stunning waterfall throughout the Ravine.
Professional tip: In recent times this space has develop into well-liked for skilled pictures periods, so go early to beat the crowds.
Early within the morning, it’ll be quiet and you’ll hear birds chirping and watch just a few locals portray the gorgeous scenes surrounding you. It’s particularly satisfying if you happen to’re on a solo journey to NYC and may actually meditate within the house.
Exploring nature in NYC on Randall’s Island
2) Climbing In Manhattan On Randall’s Island
Randall’s Island is my absolute favourite place in Manhattan and, in my view, visiting is among the greatest issues to do on the Higher East Facet NYC. It’s additionally considered one of my favourite locations to absorb the New York skyline at evening.
Plus, it’s completely free to go to, making it a fantastic attraction for these exploring NYC on a funds.
Residence to 480 acres, the island options quite a few scenic pathways — a lot of which supply academic gardens, that are nice for households.
That being mentioned, you’ll additionally discover extra rugged pathways, as properly.
If you’d like an extended outing, I like to recommend coming into the island from the 103rd Avenue Footbridge and heading left to circle the entire island.
Don’t miss the beautiful woodland path in your proper, which you’ll come to after about 10-Quarter-hour of strolling by way of gardens.
An indication for a Woodland Path (left) results in, properly, a stunning woodland path (proper)
The prettiest spot on your entire island, at the least in my view, is the Wards Meadow Loop.
Whereas over there, hold your eyes towards the skyline, as you’ll get views of the Chrysler Constructing and One World Commerce.
Map of the Randall’s Island trailhead:
Randall’s Island trailhead map
Path map: Click on right here.
Hike type: The paths listed below are flat and scenic.
Even when it’s busy on the island, you possibly can simply discover areas to have all to your self.
I really like going to Randall’s Island early within the morning earlier than anybody is there to actually take within the peace and wonder.
It’s additionally a fantastic spot for an early morning yoga session whereas having fun with Manhattan skyline views.
Getting there: You possibly can entry Randall’s Island by way of strolling or biking from:
- Manhattan (by way of the 103rd Avenue Footbridge from the Higher East Facet)
- The Bronx (by way of the Randall’s Island-Bronx Connector)
- Queens (by way of walkways alongside the RFK Triborough Bridge)
Professional tip: Carry picnic necessities and finish on the East River Picnic Space.
Together with stunning views and a peaceable setting you’ll be near the park bogs.
Additionally, if you happen to occur to have a automotive, it’s straightforward to drive from Randall’s Island to discover among the prime mountain climbing spots on Lengthy Island.
3) NYC Adventures In Inwood Hill Park
Climbing in NYC parks doesn’t have to imply strolling alongside paved trails. These actually in search of a extra rugged expertise will love the 196-acre Inwood Hill Park, one of the vital non-touristy locations to go to in NYC.
Right here you’ll discover historic websites, scenic overlooks, and the final pure forest and salt marsh in Manhattan.
It’s even dwelling to a few designated mountain climbing trails:
- the moderate-hard 1.3-mile Orange Path
- the reasonable 1.7-mile Blue Path
- the 1.2-mile straightforward White Path
For this put up on mountain climbing trails in New York Metropolis and within the video above, I’ll deal with the Orange Path, which will get you off the paved park path and into the park’s Endlessly Wild Forest. Be sure to’re sporting correct mountain climbing garments for this one!
This Manhattan hike really will get you away from the bustle of town into the woods, to the purpose the place you’ll even see glacial potholes in addition to caves which might be believed to have been a seasonal dwelling for the native Lenape individuals within the seventeenth century.
Additionally, as you’ll see within the video above, I obtained misplaced, so it’s at the least just a little bit off the overwhelmed monitor (or perhaps I’m simply horrible with instructions).
The spotlight of the hike is Overlook Meadow, providing views of Spuyten Duyvil Creek and the Hudson River.
Map of the Inwood Hill Park trailhead:
Inwood Hill Park trailhead
Path map: Click on right here.
Hike type: As said above, the Orange Path is moderate-hard, although I believe seasoned hikers will discover this extra reasonable.
It’s undoubtedly probably the most rugged of the hikes on this checklist.
Getting there: Take the subway to the Dyckman Avenue station (1 or A trains) and enter the park at Dyckman St and Employees St.
I like to recommend heading proper on the fork when the path begins to loop so that you simply do Overlook Meadow on the second half of the hike on the way in which again. Bonus if you may make your time there match up with sundown!
Professional tip: Be certain that to carry loads of water and snacks.
That is extra of a typical non-urban mountain climbing path, so if you happen to get hungry or thirsty you gained’t be near a snack stand.
4) Climbing The Governors Island Loop
On the lookout for the perfect hikes round NYC that additionally embrace an academic element?
Historic Governors Island could technically reside in Manhattan, however it looks like an easily-accessible escape from town, particularly because it’s uninhabited and car-free.
It as soon as served as a navy base, and also you’ll discover quite a few websites that carry this historical past to life.
When it comes to mountain climbing, the island options a particularly scenic and paved 2.2-mile loop that takes you across the perimeter of the island.
So as to add a rugged aspect to this hike, head over to The Hills, a 10-acre park on Governors Island that includes 4 hills, with the very best rising 70 toes above the ocean degree. Get in contact along with your internal youngster at Slide Hill, which is appropriately dwelling to quite a few slides.
Additionally, spend a while taking within the view at Picnic Level, the place you’ll have an epic view of the Statue of Liberty and the New York Harbor.
Map of the Governors Island trailhead:
Map of the Governors Island trailhead
Path map: Click on right here.
Hike type: Simple and scenic, notably if you happen to keep on the paved outer loop.
Bear in mind, although, to totally expertise the island you must also get off this path to discover the native points of interest.
Getting there: Word that Governors Island is seasonal and is simply open from early Might by way of October. You possibly can take a less-than-10-minute ferry trip from the Battery Maritime Constructing (10 South St.) in Manhattan.
Moreover, on weekends you possibly can catch the ferry from Pier 6 in Brooklyn Bridge Park. By the way in which, what’s wild about Governors Island is that regardless that it’s near Manhattan Island many New Yorkers have by no means been!
Professional tip: Finish the day with a drink at Island Oyster whereas taking in unbelievable views of Decrease Manhattan.
Furthermore, if you happen to get pleasure from extra city mountain climbing trails like this, you may additionally get pleasure from strolling throughout the Manhattan Bridge or strolling throughout the Williamsburg Bridge.
5) Climbing In Manhattan’s Fort Tryon Park
This Manhattan hike is definitely adjoining to Inwood Hill Park, so if you happen to head out early you possibly can undoubtedly discover each parks in in the future — albeit an extended one.
Now, most individuals go to this 66-acre park solely to go to the Met Cloisters and look at its in depth assortment of medieval artwork from Europe; nonetheless, the encompassing nature can be value exploring.
Fort Tryon Park really has the identical architect as Central Park, Frederick Legislation Olmsted.
Sitting 200 toes above sea degree, it’s additionally considered one of Manhattan’s highest factors, providing stunning views of the George Washington Bridge and Hudson River.
Whereas Fort Tryon Park has a lot of hikes and trails of various difficulties, on this put up on mountain climbing locations in NYC in addition to within the video above I’ll deal with the 1.25-mile Large Horseshoe Path.
A number of of the gorgeous Manhattan points of interest you’ll come throughout on the path embrace the:
- Alpine Backyard – An Earth scientist’s dream with a number of rocks and rugged outcroppings
- Heather Backyard – A beautiful three-acre backyard
- Cloisters Garden – A stunning garden the place there are typically occasions hosted
- Linden Terrace – That is the very best level in Fort Tryon Park in addition to the very best landscaped level on Manhattan Island the place you’ll discover historic structure and a good looking bluestone arch
Principally, if you happen to’re on the lookout for the perfect locations to hike in NYC that additionally embrace fascinating points of interest, it is a nice path for you. Plus, exploring Fort Tryon Park is actually one of many prime issues to do in Higher Manhattan!
Map of the Fort Tryon Park trailhead:
Map of the Fort Tryon Park trailhead
Path map: Click on right here and scroll right down to the final three pages.
Hike type: That is labeled as intense, however if you happen to’re an everyday hiker you’ll discover it extra reasonable. At instances you’ll be in busier sections of the park, whereas at different instances you’ll be on pure paths and gained’t see anybody.
Getting there: Take the subway to the 190 Avenue Subway Station (A prepare). Enter close to the Jacob Javits Playground at Margaret Corbin Plaza between Cabrini Boulevard and Fort Washington Avenue. That is the place you possibly can start the loop path.
Professional tip: You possibly can’t come to Fort Tryon Park with out visiting the Met Cloisters. You should buy your ticket right here, which additionally consists of entry to the Metropolitan Museum of Artwork and the Met Breuer.
The place To See Nature In NYC (Further Alternatives)
Together with the above-mentioned mountain climbing trails, don’t miss the next nature issues to do in NYC:
Manhattan Nature Excursions:
- Take a Niagara Falls day journey
- Take a Manhattan journey boat tour
- E book a romantic picnic in Central Park
- Discover the Hudson River Greenway by bike
- Jog by way of Central Park on a 5k enjoyable run
- Take a sundown tour of Central Park
- Study the secrets and techniques of Central Park
- Set off on a Central Park puzzling journey
- Go on a Delaware River kayak and wine day journey from Manhattan
- Hike by way of Central Park’s Hallett Nature Sanctuary (proven above within the video)
- Discover the numerous pocket parks of NYC; I really like Greenacre Park, which presents a dose of city nature and even a waterfall!
- Group backyard hop within the East Village, which is dwelling to quite a few tucked-away art-filled gardens
- Stroll waterfront parks like Carl Schurz Park and Riverside Park
- Take pleasure in free kayaking on the Downtown Boathouse
- Go fowl watching in Central Park, Inwood Hill Park, Bryant Park, and/or Riverside Park, all of that are coated on the New York Metropolis Audubon web site; if you wish to enterprise into Queens the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge can be a superb place for this
- Stroll the garden-filled, art-adorned Excessive Line, although word it does get fairly crowded in the summertime
- Go bird-watching on the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in Queens
- Hike across the New York Botanical Backyard within the Bronx, which has some beautiful waterfalls amongst different pure highlights, and is a couple of 15-minute Uber trip from one other unbelievable pure attraction, Wave Hill
- Hike the Staten Island Greenbelt
- Take a ropes course on the Alley Pond Park Journey Course in Queens
- Together with visiting Brooklyn Bridge Park and Prospect Park — which has its personal Ravine — in Brooklyn, you possibly can discover the 52-acre Brooklyn Botanic Backyard, which hosts considered one of my favourite annual festivals, the Chile Pepper Pageant
- Take a New York highway journey from NYC to discover out of doors locations just like the Catskills, the Hudson Valley (the place you possibly can hike Breakneck Ridge or the Bull Hill / Mt. Taurus hike), or the Adirondacks (to hike Mt Marcy)